One of the early goals we have for Jeffco Public Schools is working to engage our community with the things happening in our schools, building up that important reciprocal relationship.
Toward that end, we’ve started taking applications for Jeffco University, a citizens’ academy to engage with our schools and learn more about how they work.
Such academies are not new to education (we ran one when I was in Eagle County, called the Insider’s Academy), but only a few districts around Colorado operate such programs.
Sessions operate on Wednesday nights from 5:30-8:30 PM (dinner will be provided), on the following dates (and topics):
- Public Education Today – October 18. This session will explore the origins and purpose of public education, important legal changes to education over time, and the configuration today. We will also cover how Jeffco Public Schools is organized and touch on some key demographics and performance metrics of the district.
- The What, Why, and How of Teaching – November 15. This session is all about learning, and will explore the connections between quality teachers, content (what is being learned), and how to engage the learner. Central to this conversation will be the concept of student task, or what we ask students to do or experience in the course of learning.
- Jeffco Logistics – December 13. This session covers the extensive operational system which makes Jeffco Public Schools hum. Touching on facilities, transportation, food services, technology, safety and security, and school finance attendees will learn about the scale and approaches used in meeting our students’ needs.
- Supporting Students – January 17. This session covers special student groups including gifted/talented, special education, English-language learners, pre-K services, as well as student health and counseling services. Legal supports will also be covered in this session.
- Community Connections – February 21. This session will cover school district governance and the policy framework at the local, state, and federal levels. Participants will hear strategies on how they can be involved in education policy and how they can support Jeffco Public Schools going forward.
Jeffco University will culminate with a special recognition ceremony for graduates with the Board of Education on March 1, 2018.
We hope to accept all applicants, but in the event demand exceeds our capacity, we will use a lottery system to determine who gets in. Parents/Guardians of current Jeffco students will be given preference for acceptance.
Applications are due by midnight, Monday, October 16 and applicants will be notified of their status on Tuesday, October 17. Class begins on Wednesday, October 18 – so save that date!
You can register to be part of Jeffco University here. Hope to see you there!